CMV or cytomegalovirus is a common virus that is harmless to most people but can be dangerous to unborn babies.
The CMV i-learn module has been developed by CMV Action in association with the RCM in response to requests from midwives for more information about congenital CMV. It sets out the facts about CMV and key areas where midwives can play a role in the forefront of reducing the impact of this virus:
Understanding how CMV can affect babies:
What CMV is and the symptoms it can cause
How CMV is spread
How risks of CMV infection in pregnancy can be reduced
Knowing what you can do to limit the impact:
Give advice on reducing risks
Know how to reduce your own risk if you are planning a pregnancy
Know what to do if infection in pregnancy is suspected
Understand what would happen if a newborn baby was diagnosed with CMV
Study time is approximately 1 hour and learning can be accredited by completing our e-learning quiz.
The module is proving to be very successful and has been reviewed positively by midwives across the UK. After a recent relaunch update, the module has been already been accessed by 325 Royal College of Midwives members. Participants are encouraged to dip in and work through sections of all RCM I-learn modules that are most relevant to them, so completion is not necessarily the main indicator of its success. Feedback has all been excellent, so do take a look.
Some of the comments from midwives .....
- Really informative module.
- Really valuable information on CMV, transmission and early recognition in the newborn
- A very informative and well presented e learning module, I learned a lot that I was unaware of previously thank you
- Very interesting and informative.
- Really informative course presented in an easy to follow and engaging format- thank you.
- Good informative module which will help with my practice
- Really informative
- Given me more confidence to discuss risks with women.
- This module strengthened my background knowledge in a very useful way as a midwife who carries out examinations of the newborn
- Brilliantly informative, thank you!
- Important topic, pleased to have extended my knowledge.
- A really useful refresher on CMV. Thank you
- I was encouraged by my friend/colleague to undertake this training and iI found it extremely useful. I will recommend it to others.
- Great introduction into this subject.
- Great module! Very informative and I will take this into my future practice as a midwife
- May also be beneficial to provide guidance on how to manage a pregnancy with a confirmed diagnosis and the advice to give to women regarding this
- Excellent learning tool - really enjoyed it.
- Very useful information