This short training module has been developed in response to requests from midwives for more information about congenital CMV. It takes about an hour to complete and sets out the facts about CMV and four key areas where midwives can play a role in the forefront of reducing the impact of this virus.
By the end of this module you will:
Understand how CMV can affect babies:
- What CMV is and the symptoms it can cause
- How CMV is spread
- How risks of CMV infection in pregnancy can be reduced
Know what you can do to limit the impact:
Give advice on reducing risks
- Know how to reduce your own risk if you are planning a pregnancy
- Know what to do if infection in pregnancy is suspected
- Understand what would happen if a newborn baby was diagnosed with CMV
You can download the pdf version of the module below. If you are registered with the Royal College of Midwives you can complete it on the RCM i-learn platform.
Once you have finished the module you can accredit your learning by completing our e-learning quiz. Score more than 75% and you will get a certificate to include in your portfolio. The module also includes plenty of ideas for additional portfolio activities.